Dec 31, 2012

I loved...and I Hated

So another year is checked off, and it included the usual list of things I loved, and things I hated, some for so little reason I won't even try to explain them!

I Hated the over-use of the phrase "Things to Know". It grew like a virus on and off line. 5 Things To Know! 12 Things To Know! 1-Billion Things To Know! It is NOT on one University's  list of words to be banished in 2013, but it should be.

I Loved the success of the out-of-nowhere Alabama Shakes. They were suddenly everywhere!

I Hated to see the slow death by a thousand (mostly self-inflicted) wounds of APT, where I worked for almost 12 years. One ray of hope this late in the year: the sale of the APT building on Madison Avenue to ASU has not happened and may not happen at all. One can hope.




I Loved Curiosity, the Mars rover...but  even more, I loved his plucky older cousins Opportunity and Spirit. Spirit is "silent", says NASA, but Opportunity is still on mission almost a decade after landing.

I Hated to see the demolition of an old tower on the land where I went to High School. I know it was for safety reasons, and the structure was in danger of collapsing onto someone, but it seemed as if an icon of my youth had been swallowed up. The original owner of the land used it to watch horse racing on a distant track.

I Loved a lot of movies and Hated a lot more. That may have to be a separate post, but to name a few: Looper, End of Watch, The Perks of Being a Wildflower, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Prometheus, and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel...some pretty dark, but what the hey. The Hated list will have to wait. I've blocked even their titles from my memory.

I Hated  Honey BooBoo and Snooky and anything Kardasian. Oh, the all of The real Housewives too.

I Loved the ASU students protesting the school's firing of President Joseph Silver...and I Hated the patronizing comments of some school officials about those students. Not it is not the same as the back in the day protests, but it's family.


I Hated the death of so many daily newspapers. I think I am one of the few people on my block who have the paper out front on Sundays. Yes, I know it is all online, but my generation will have a hard time giving up the tactile experience of holding a paper. Kindle or the PC just isn't the same.



The old CBS 8 Building
And I Loved the experience of seeing the new TV studios being built here in Montgomery. I wish I could share a pic or two right now. Be patient. I hope you'll like our new look as much as I do. Youll' see it...in the new year!

HAPPY New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013!


No comments:

Post a Comment