Apr 20, 2014

Sunday Focus: "All God's Dangers"



     A New York Times story I was reading referred to Tukabahchee County* Alabama, and I blinked. Where?
     I've been to most Alabama Counties at one time or another, but had never heard of it. 
     The Times tells the story of the book that won a 1974 National Book Award, a book that I'm betting most of you have never heard of.



You can read the eight-page preface online...and that's where I read this:


As a measure of protection and privacy I have had to change the 
names of all the people and most of the places in the narrative. 

That was written not in 1874, but in 1974!
Younger folks may think of '74 as ancient history, yet the author felt the need to hide the identity and location of the the elderly black man who's story he tells. Amazing.
     The YouTube clip above is actor Clevon Little in a one man show based on the book, though the Times story doesn't have anything good to say abou it.
     There is also a PBS clip online that includes an interview with his relatives.

* He actually lived in Tallapoosa County.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted this, as I'm among those who had never heard of this book. The list of books it beat for the National Book Award is remarkable, like a greatest hits of non-fiction and all still widely read. Already ordered a copy.

    ReplyDelete