Oct 30, 2014

Honor for Alabama's (Gay) Best Known CEO

     Tim Cook was in Montgomery earlier this week to receive an honor. He was named to the 100-member Alabama Academy of honor.
   
  And he used his time at the podium to criticize his home state:
"As a state, we took too long to steps toward equality," he said. "We were too slow on equality for African-Americans. We were too slow on interracial marriage, and we are still too slow for the equality for the LGBT community."
     Then, later in the week, he made official in a Business Week essay what had been thought for some time: 
  “So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.”

[UPDATE: The Reuters news service quotes Gov. Bentley as telling The Anniston Star that he didn't like Cook comparing the Civil and Gay Rights movements:

"I don't connect those two, and in fact I don't think the African-American community connects those two either," Bentley said, according to the newspaper.
 

    
 

1 comment: