Jul 22, 2017

Saturday Data: Trump's Assault on Alabama's Jeff Sessions



   You could almost hear Republican heads spinning here in Alabama last week when the President took the former Alabama U.S. Senator to a very public woodshed over the recusal issue...again.

 “Sessions should have never recused himself, and if he was going to recuse himself, he should have told me before he took the job and I would have picked somebody else,” Mr. Trump said.


POLITICO quotes Jackson County GOP Chair Ellen O’Conner:
“I don’t know what’s on Donald’s mind,” O’Conner confessed. “I don’t know why he made that stupid statement. To me it’s stupid. If he knew anything about how the federal government and FBI worked, he should have known that Jeff Sessions would have recused himself. The man will not go against the grain. He’s a very true conservative.”

     Making it all the weirder, the Presidential dressing down came in an interview with The New York Times, a favorite media target of Trump attacks.

     Sessions quickly dashed any opposition hopes that he would step down after being so openly criticized by the White House:


“I have the honor of serving as attorney general. It's something that goes beyond any thought I would have ever had for myself,” Sessions said. “We love this job, we love this department, and I plan to continue to do so as long as that is appropriate.” 

"Appropriate"? Unusual choice of words. But these are unusual days, so perhaps that's the best the AG can do to explain his willingness to put up with being embarrassed by his boss on the front page of the NY Times.

[Saturday Data is a regular feature of www.timlennox.com, celebrating ten years online this Fall.]




No comments:

Post a Comment