Jan 8, 2013

End of a Birmingham Era


     This email was passed on to to me by friends in Birmingham, where I had the pleasure of knowing (and interviewing) Libby Rich, owner of Plant Odyssey for many years. There may never be another store its equal. 
     Thanks Libby for all of the effort for all of the years for all of the plants to which you helped give a good home.
Hey Y’all,
 

It has been an honor and privilege to serve you for 38 years but I am finished with being the owner of a small business. My heart and mind are no longer interested in putting forth the effort it takes to open the doors every day. Knowing I will not put my best into the store, I choose to close rather than let it slowly deteriorate.

I want to rest and be quiet, to read and write, to knit or to just vegetate in front of the TV. To no longer be the responsible person I have been for so many years; to experience life without the store. Pardon me for doing cartwheels and handstands but that is how I feel:  Joyful and confident this is the right decision for me. Please don't think of me as defeated or a quitter but just the opposite; as a woman who is not afraid to make a major change, not knowing the outcome.

I look forward to giving you a hug and the opportunity to say THANKS for your support, concern and love. You will never know how much it has meant to me all these years. You have stood by and supported me through good times and bad. Thank you all for your patronage and caring.

I have no intention of leaving Birmingham as it has been my home for most of my life. Perhaps we will meet each other on a different road, sharing a new journey.  I hope so.
My hope for the New Year: That when you see an open flower in the garden and inhale its wonderful fragrance, you will occasionally think of me.

All stock is 50% off until it is all gone.
Store hours for the closing sale will be 10-5 Tuesday through Saturday.

(http://www.facebook.com/LibbysPlantOdyssey)

Libby

Plant Odyssey, a place where gardeners can dream.

www.LibbysPlantOdyssey.com

libbyrich.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment