Mar 3, 2013

Language

Just read on page 14 of the 3-11-13 TIME Magazine that "Sequester" means several things, including:

 "To haphazardly cut federal spending."

No, not quite. Since the cuts are across the board, they are not haphazard...or (since Social Security and Medicaid are exempted) only slightly haphazard. To be truly haphazard, they would use a dart board.

My language pet peeves also include:
  • The use of literally when the writer means figuratively.
  • The use of "There's" when the object of the verb is a plural. "There's There are ten new cars on the lot!"
  • Confusing "like" and "as" . It's "As I was saying" and "Like a rocket (or a virgin, for Madonna fans.) 
  • Speaking of, I have to keep an eye on my own use of It's and Its.  
  • Reporters who say they are speaking to someone. Only if they are a drill sergeant. We hope they mean speaking with?
  • And sure, you can find mistakes on the five+ years worth of postings on this site (-:  The first person to find and send me one will not receive a big flat screen screwdriver.


1 comment:

  1. I've been finding them for a long, long time, Tim. Sometimes I even point them out.

    ReplyDelete