Mar 3, 2013

Newsies

     Did you ever deliver newspapers?
     I remember wanting to, growing up in New York City, but I was convinced to find other ways to make pocket change.
     During the first decades at the turn of the last century, it was a common first job for young boys. Girls joined in, probably in the 1960's.
Now It's an adult job, and not quite the same.  
     People who would gladly give tips and gifts to the boy or girl on the bike wouldn't think of doing the same for an adult.

     I got thinking about it after reading a New York (Paywall) Times reports on a news "boy" who is still delivering at 93. A book quoted in the article mentions famous Americans who were newspaper deliverers when they were kids, like John Wayne and Warren Buffett.
     What do kids do for first jobs these days? McDonalds? Help adults install Windows 8? Most kids probably wouldn't want to get up as early as you need to to deliver whatever papers are still being delivered.
     As for me, I get up too early.

[UPDATE: I read that the Lowell Massachusetts Sun newspaper decided to hire just young people for its delivery workforce in 2006...back to the boys and girls on bikes. But I can't find any newer stories about that experiment. I wonder if they're still doing so?

3 comments:

  1. I delivered about 80 advertising newspapers every week in Springfield, Mass. I must have been abour 14 years old. For the work I was paid two dollars, cash. I had to buy my own Radio Flyer red wagon to carry them around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course that was so long ago that $2 was the average weekly wage? (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably so. That was around 1956.
    Tempus fugit!

    ReplyDelete