Jan 22, 2018

MMMM # 583 -- Old Fashioned News Absorbtion


WHEN: This evening between anchoring the 9:00 News on WCOV (FOX) and the 10:00 News on CBS 8/ABC Montgomery.

WHERE: In the Alabama News Network Newsroom, Montgomery, Alabama

WHAT: Reading the Sunday New York Times.

WHY: OK, it's 9:30 on a Sunday night and I've sent hours absorbing news on TV, Radio and online, and reporting it on air and online, but I usually carry The Times to work with me. I still like the physicality of holding a newspaper, turning the pages without ads popping out at  me. I know the printed papers won't be here for long, even the NY Times won't be able to survive. I also take the Sunday Montgomery Advertiser, currently the largest daily newspaper in Alabama (though I suspect it will soon follow the other former daily papers soon and cut back to three or so days a week in physical print). 

I pass both papers on to my friend Gary, who WILL recycle them when the city resumes recycling, presuming it does.

###

   My job in Vietnam in the U.S. Army was something of an oxymoron during my first six months in Vietnam. 
     I was assigned to a Public Information in the 5th Division in 1970. The title "Military  Journalist" is jarring.
     But there i was.
     Part of the job was assisting civilian journalists get around. Almost all were men, but as the NY Times reported last year, some were women.





[The Monday Morning Media Memo is a longtime regular feature of this site, www.timlennox.com. Now in its 11th year online!]

No comments:

Post a Comment