Feb 5, 2008

Vietnam TV Anniversary




Forty years ago today the Armed Forces Viernam Network (AFVN)station in Hue, South
Vietnam (Detachment 5) was overrun. Six men were taken prisoner, five spending years in captivity before being released. The sixth was executed by the Viet Cong. This is a day to remember and honor them.
You may wish to make a visit to this page to learn more about the attack and AFVN. After the attack, Detachment 5 was moved to inside the perimeter of the base camp at Quang Tri, and that's where I served in '70-'71. After the fact I learned you could see bullet holes in the trailer that contained the guts of the station.

1 comment:

  1. Tim: I wonder if our paths crossed at Det#5. I was stationed at Quang Tri during the summer of 70. Did radio, and fill-in TV news when Jim Psack went on R & R. Late fall I was transferred back to Saigon, and was on-air there until Aug 71.
    Doug Jennings
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    radioone@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete