Jan 28, 2010

The Obit in The Rye

     J.D. Salinger has died...as unknown as ever.
     But almost all of us knew the characters he created in his seimnal novel The Catcher in The Rye.
     Ironically, just a few days ago I lifted my copy...a yellowed 1963 paperback...out of the bookshelf and remembered the teenaged thrill of reading forbidden fruit. I signed my name in it, but there is no signature of  Fr. Earl Bissonnette, who's permission was required on all reading material in the seminary I attended in my High School years. Even my old dictionary from those years had his written OK. The fact that it is missing means I either bought my copy of Catcher later...possible...or I risked  wrath and kept it unsigned...much less likely. 
     Catcher ends with the line: Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you'll start missing everybody.
    In his later years, Salinger became famous for not wanting to be famous. His last interview was in 1980. He died a recluse in New Hampshire.

2 comments:

  1. Having been born in 1950, J.D. Salinger's, The Catcher in the Rye, was forbidden reading because of 'cuss' words, sexual inuendos, etc. but I was able to read it at my high school in a D.C. suburb of Hyattsville, MD. I've always been rather proud of my personal library but apparently have lost this masterpiece in my numerous moves from one end of this country to the other. I will, however, buy another copy & read it again. I've waited entirely too long to have done thus. Thank you Mr. Salinger. As a substitute teacher I just recently pointed out the poignancy of this book to an Honors English class. I hope at least one of those students took my suggestion to read it. Gary James Bridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vaguely remember Fr. Earl encouraging me to read Catcher. Maybe he approved a few unsigned copies on the side.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete