Jul 18, 2010

(SN*) MM: Combat Artist

     The title always seemed to be a contradition to me (though no more than "Military Journalist", my own title back then), but I worked alongside a combat artist during my tour in Vietnam, and Sgt. Bill Dolan's work now hangs proudly on a wall in my home, though I have no idea if he is living or if not, and if he is, what happened to him after 'Nam.



     I mention  him because of a NY Times story about combat artists. There is only one in the entire Marine Corps now!
     The story says there were 70 or so working during Vietnam, though Bill was the only one I met.   
     He was a cartoonist mostly, but produced the more serious work pictured here too.

If anyone happens to know what happened to Bill after the war, I would like very much to know.

[Update: Here's a U.S. Army page about the artist program.]

[The Monday Morning Media Memo is a regular feature of this blog, though sometimes they run in other times, like Sunday Night.]

4 comments:

  1. most interesting. I am passing this along to the vietnam veterans of america (VVA)--maybe they can locate SGT Dolan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked with Bill Dolan during
    '66-'69 at the Army's Command Info Unit. Our primary art function was to provide line art in support of the army newpaper program. We both had combat art tours in '68.
    Lost all contact after he was reassigned to Ft, Benning around '70. I have to assume he retired somewhere around that time since he had served in WWII. He was from Chicago so that could be a clue for his eventual trail. An outstanding artist who could draw cartoons. His old strip "Muldoon" showcases his versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about not paying attention..I just NOW saw this comment on the blog (it had been kicked into a "to be moderated" file for some reason)...so THANK YOU!!!!, though quite belatedly.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also added a photo I found of Bill..a picture I took in Quang Tri in 1970.

    ReplyDelete