Jul 11, 2011

Exhilaration, horror, and then death.

     This weekend's West Alabama plane crash was the second such incident in the state in weeks to destroy a family and leave behind a single survivor.
     In this case, an 18 year old daughter was the only sibling to stay home in Florida and not join her parents and five siblings on a family reunion trip to Missouri.
     Last month, another small plane crashed, in Guntersville, killing the two adults and one of the two children on board. The 7 year old boy is "expected to make a full recovery" according to doctors. And while I hope that is true, both survivors will no doubt live with doubt, and grief, and guilt.

    It is yet another reminder of Tim's oft stated belief that there's a Mack Truck waiting for all of us, literally or not.
    I've flown in small planes and spent thousands of hours in a small helicopter, fully knowing that I was just seconds away from a disaster not of my making; a loose bolt, a weakened hose; a neglected gas tank. And my only involvement was my decision to get in the thing in the first place.
     My hopes and prayers go to that young boy and young woman, that they will find a way to truly survive, to somehow use the pain for something good.

4 comments:

  1. I flew in a small plane over the jungles of Colombia, South America back in 2004. It was the kind of plane with two propellers on the front. Absolutely the most terrifying ride of my life. I hate flying anyway...not because I am scared the plane will crash but because it is so uncomfortable and when the first baby poops the flight is all downhill from there because the air is recirculated. Ugh! If I never had to get on another plane again it would be too soon. Unfortunately I will be back on one in November when I go to LA for the Drug Policy Alliance conference. I'll be glad when the science community finally figures out teleportation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment above is mine (Loretta Nall). Didn't realize my daughter was signed in...oops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. News stories like these always make me stop and think - after I take a deep breath. We never know what may be our fate tomorrow.

    BTW Tim, I love the new photo you have at the top - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nicely worded article, Tim; with warmth & concern for the two that weren't killed. Every second of my 600 mile 4th of July vehicle trip had me aware of what was around me & what could happen in a split second. I, still, wouldn't have been able to control most variables, however. I still recall you jumping out of that plane in Birmingham back in the 70's, right? Yea, like I'd ever do that! Gary

    ReplyDelete