Jul 20, 2011

The Global Kid (w/Alabama Roots!)

     Newsweek includes a major article focusing on raising a "Global Kid"...and it starts by focusing on Demopolis, Alabama raised Multi-Millionaire investment expert and author Jim Rogers. The magazine quotes him as saying:

“I’m doing what parents have done for many years,” Jim Rogers says. “I’m trying to prepare my children for the future, for the 21st century. I’m trying to prepare them as best I can for the world as I see it.”

     He says the future is Asian...and so he and his wife moved to Singapore, where his daughter Happy speaks English and Mandarin fluently.
     Those of you who are parents of young children (or grandchildren) read the article and wonder...am I doing enough?

[A small addendum. During my Talk-Radio years in Birmingham, a PR person (was it Lynn Sampson?) kept trying to convince me to book Jim Rogers on a show, and it never happened. He was riding motorcycles around and spouting investment advice back then and I just couldn't get a handle on him for an interview. Jim: all is forgiven. I was wrong! Come home! (-:  [

5 comments:

  1. We interviewed Jim when he came by Public TV years, and years, and years ago, talking about his motorcycle trip across Russia. A very interesting fellow, and willing to assist us by returning to speak at the launching of a literacy program. (Doesn't it seem we're always fighting illiteracy in Alabama?) I had the pleasure of driving him to his hometown of Demopolis, just me and him, and the conversation was engaging. I only wish I'd gotten some great financial tips. Actually, I did. Study history, was his mantra back then. What goes around, comes around. And how, it seems, we're all going to the Orient in a handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . . . and another Bob, named Riley, takes an ill-fated motorcycle trip to Alaska.

    A connection? Or a trend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob---that must have predated my time at APT---or maybe my memory is really hurtin' and it was during my time there that Lyn---a former FTR Anchor herself--was pitching him as a guest! Whatever.

    And Jay...uh, there is a connection if you see one. That's enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What has happened to Lyn Sampon and where she now. She would be a great replacement for the brainlees wonder who is now running APTV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey David,
    Lynn is living in the Birmingham area and I am in off and on contact with her. She sound fine, but I'm not sure she would want to run the net....

    ReplyDelete