Apr 16, 2012

MMMM #202 -- reading the e way

A 1786 NY State law book in my collection.

   
  I don't own a "reader"...a Kindle or any other brand.
     I don't oppose 'em, I just don't think I do enough reading away from a PC or easy-chair to make it worth the expense.
     My commute is me driving 13 minutes, so no need there. (Alabama Public Radio and the BBC read to me each morning anyway.)
     At home and work I read dozens of article a day on the PC, and when I want to read a real book my recliner is ready willing and able to handle me and the physical book.
     Nonetheless, the ebook is the future, no doubt, and there were several developments about them and the machines for using them in the past week.
     First came the report that the U.S. Justice Department is suing some of the big publishers for, in effect, price fixing...keeping price of e-books high... for their benefit, of course.
    Then there was a Pew study of e-reading too...
     ....and late in the week, an improvement to one reader that makes it easy to read in bed, especially if you share that bed!
    Regarding the price of e-books. Let me see: you've eliminate the entire cost of paper and ink and all of the relates expenses, like shipping and storing those heavy books all over the place. What's left? The author's labor, some design and packaging expense, and...and...and.....no wonder they have to price fix!
   Whatever.
   On Saturday, The CBS Evening News offered a fascinating look at The Internet Archive...an attempt to digitize every book of which there is still a physical copy.AND..AND...to save a copy of the physical book too.


[The Monday Morning Media Memo is a regular feature of this website.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment