Jun 4, 2012

MMMM # 212 -- News Photography

     With every phone including a camera, it isn't surprising that little happens without visual proof.


      Sunday's jetliner crash in Nigeria was recorded by thousands of resident near the Largos airport on their cell phones, showing bodies and all.  A few news photo related stores from the past week:


  • This past week was the 40th Anniversary of that iconic photo of the Vietnam War...the little girl running naked in the road, burned by a napalm strike.




  • ...And never before published (or rare) photos of The WWII Battle of The Bulge were posted online by TIME.
  •    I was never a full-time newspaper photographer (nor was I ever qualified for it!), but during WERC-Traffic Chopper days I had a number of photos published in the old post-Herald. I think this was the best news photo I have taken..in Vietnam, 1970:


A family watches as a Medivac chopper
picks up an injured South Vietnam soldier. 
PLUS:
  • I worked most of my career in radio, a lot of it on AM Radio stations, and I thought AM was Dead, Dead, Dead, Yet a company is starting A network of Spanish Language AM Radio Stations. Go figure. 
  • And Joey Kennedy posted even more evidence in The Birmingham News why allowing anonymous comments after newspaper stories is a mistake. Why do newspapers feel the need to allow readers to hide their ID when they comment, like talk radio shows?
[The Monday Morning Media Memo is a regular feature of this website. I'm on vacation this week, so there will either be fewer postings than usual, or more!]

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spanish language radio stations?

    Scott Beason alert!

    ReplyDelete