Aug 20, 2012

Phyllis Diller Obit

     I'm fairly sure Phyllis Diller was the first live performer I saw on stage.
     I just a child..maybe nine or ten, and my parents went to a Policemen's Benevolent Association benefit featuring her as the entertainment. They probably couldn't get a babysitter..
     I don't remember anything about the show in particular, but many years later I had the opportunity to interview her on radio and told her about it. I also told her that I had bought an album titled "Phyllis Dinner Sings", to which she replied immediately; "So you're the one!"
     I was saddened to hear of her passing today, but she made it to 95, and had commented in an NPR interview that all of the great comics lived long lives. 
     Humor keeps us sane and eliminated stress I suppose. 
     Thanks for the laughs, Phyllis.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for remembering dear Phyllis Diller in your Blog, Tim. I,too,first heard of her back in 1961 when my mother bought her: "Phyllis Diller Laughs' album. I,to this day, know the entire album by heart & play it several times a year.One of my favorite quips from her was her telling her husband, Fang, that she had a wreck at Post & Geary. He told her: "You idiot. Post & Geary don't cross!" She replied: "They do NOW!", LOL. GOD rest her soul.

    ReplyDelete