The most Popular Posts of the past seven days.

Nov 18, 2013

MMMM # 417 My reporting on the Kennedy Assassintion

        Like everyone who was alive at the time, I remember exactly where I was when I learned President Kennedy has been shot, and not long afterwards, that he had died.
       I was in an Catholic elementary school classroom in New York City, and the news came as an announcement on the PA system. I do not remember the exact words, but school was dismissed and the hallways were somber.

      
     Oddly enough, I don't seem to have any newspapers or clippings from that day, other than a Birmingham News that I obviously  picked up somewhere during my recent decades in Alabama.
     More than one Alabamian has told me there was cheering in some classrooms in Alabama when the announcement was made.
     Kennedy was hated in the South, but won the popular vote in 1960 Alabama based on urban voters. He lost the electoral college vote when six of Alabama's uncommitted electors voted for segregationist Virginia Governor Harry Byrd.
     One Alabama native who told me of cheering in a Greenville classroom said the teacher admonished the students, telling them "we don't cheer anyone's death".
     My memory tells me it was the very next day that my parents and I heard a live radio report of Lee Harvey Oswald being killed, though I know it was two days. We were driving to a religious school where students were not allowed radios or televisions. I told them what I knew, "reporting" the biggest story of my generation to a captive audience.
     Where were you?

[Note: Many of the specials leading up to the actual anniversary this week have already aired, but former CBS Anchor Dan Rather---still shunned over the bitter lawsuit he filed against the Network---will be on AXS TV, which is available on some "on demand" cable channels. The 45 Minute CBS report The JFK Assassination, As it happened, is available online here. ]

 ###

ALSO:
A study of newspapers in Britain found a stark difference in how many female reporters get their stories published compared to men, as well as the kind of reporting where the difference is the greatest.

AND
I was glad to read a Washington Post reader respond to a columnist's enthusiasm for a new WaPo graphic packed product by saying "Not everything important fits in an infographic." AMEN! I guess if you can't beat the ten second attention span news consumer, join 'im.



[The Monday Morning Media Memo is a regular Feature of TimLennox.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment