Jul 27, 2014

Sunday Focus: Online Job Hunts

     There are now five states requiring that people collecting unemployment have their resume posted on the state jobs website...and to keep them updated.

     Rhode Island recently became the most recent state with that requirement, and it has the nation's highest unemployment rate.

     Here in Alabama our rate is now above the national average, and it is the only state to see an increase in the jobless rate in the past 13 months.         
    Ironically, The Republican Governor, Robert Bentley, won election on the promise not to accept a paycheck till the rate shrank to "normal" levels, and he's renewed that pledge for his reelection campaign. At this rate the retired dermatologist will have to wait for a payday. Not that it's really a problem...he and his wife reported an income of almost $373k this Spring. Alabama governors are normally paid about $120k

     I suspect the online resume requirement would win quick
approval if it went before the Alabama Legislature, though it would also be largely symbolic. The state will have to deal with the fact that many unemployed people don't have much to put on a resume, and my be looking for a job in which a resume would be overkill.
     Large companies looking to fill entry level positions now require people to fill out online applications and, sometimes, take online tests to judge their "qualifications" for a job. They ask them questions like "If you saw your best friend shoplifting, would you betray him and call your manager?" Right.
 
Before the Supreme Court, while it was NOT in session.
   Like just about every working, or want-to-be-working, person, you'll find me on the LinkedIn website. Many folks have kindly endorsed my ability at writing and editing and storytelling etc. 

     And I really do appreciate the kudos, but I spend way too little time there. I have 333 connections listed, and I've posted links to some of my recent "news extra" stories. But I have no idea if anyone actually visits my page. You have to pay extra for a "premium" membership to get that information, and at the moment I'm too cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment