Nov 16, 2014

Sunday Focus: Retirement

     I've told the joke a thousand times---one that I "borrowed" from a DJ in Birmingham years ago.
"My retirement plan is to run out of breath and money at the same time."
     So far it's working just fine, but a story I spotted on Saturday spells trouble.

     The  USA Today story ranks the ten worst states in which to retire, and Alabama ranks 10th.
"Alabama ranks poorly in two categories: life expectancy and crime. The state is among the worst in the nation in terms of life expectancy at age 65. Meanwhile, its violent and property crime rates are in the top 10."

     Probably not going to make it into the Chamber's newsletter.
     Four of the ten worst states are in The South.
     The worst state was Alaska.

     There are lot of lists of the best places outside America in which to retire, like this one in U.S. News and World Report. It ranks Panama #1.

     Nationally, retirement is at the top of the list when it comes to American's money worries, according to a Gallup Poll last Spring:


     Read the full Gallup poll HERE.

     As for me, I'm sticking to my plan until...until one or the other really does run out!

[Sunday Focus is a regular feature of TimLennox.com]


  

1 comment:

  1. Since the word "retire" is not in the Bible, I'm not actually retiring until I have to!

    ReplyDelete