Jul 24, 2019

Sears Roebuck


Dear Mr. Richard Sears,
  I know the 115th anniversary of your death is coming in September...and that your business partner, Alvah Curtis Roebuck is also deceased, but I hope that will not prevent you from reading and responding to this brief letter.
  I have received a notice from the company you founded lowering my credit limit because I have not used your store's credit card in two years.
  I have a good excuse!
  I have worked very hard to achieve a credit rating that is at the top of the nation's ratings...i.e. "excellent". Yours was one of the first credit cards I applied for and received more than 40 years ago.
  I used it to buy many dozens of appliances and tools etc.
  But I stopped using your credit card shortly after JUNE 26, 2016, WHEN YOU CLOSED YOUR SEARS STORE HERE IN MONTGOMERY ALABAMA.
  If you won't hold it against me for not using your card recently, since I have no local store to visit, I won't hold it against you for not replying personally to this letter, since you have been dead for a century.
   By the way, I know Sears continues to operate "online" (you might have to look that word up), but your predecessors have done a miserable job convincing customers like me to buy your refrigerators and chain saws that way.
   I want you to send a letter to the credit reporting agencies informing them that your decision to lower my credit limit was a result of you closing your store, and not because of any poor financial activities on my part.
   I await your reply.

Tim Lennox
Montgomery Alabama  

UPDATE: I cancelled the account.


2 comments: