Nov 13, 2019

Of Special Interest in Alabama


    
     The American Cancer Society is out with an annual report on lung cancer....a disease of special note for Alabama because Governor Kay Ivey has been treated for a cancer on one of her lungs. The report notes:

The five-year survival rate of lung cancer, which was 21.7% nationally, also varied by state -- ranging from 26.4% in Connecticut to 16.8% in Alabama, according to the report.

     I wish nothing but a long remainder of her life for the Governor, but the report suggests only 16.8% of Alabama residents diagnosed with lung cancer will survive for five years. The majority will not.
     As much as 90% of lung cancers are attributed to smoking.
     


     Was the Governor ever a smoker? I have not seen that information in public anywhere. 
     I don't know why the question has apparently not been asked. That information could convince a young Alabamian not to start smoking...or to quit if they already smoke.

(As I have noted in previous posts about the Governor's lung cancer diagnosis, I smoked for decades and quit almost twenty years ago. My health is excellent, as I hope is the Governor's.)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment