Jan 12, 2021

Relativity

      I've been able to watch a lot...perhaps too much...of the coverage of the assault, the insurrection, at the Capitol building a week ago tomorrow.  As with many of you, I have been angered, infuriated, and waiting to see how many people will be punished for taking part, or for not preventing it in the first place. The deaths and injuries! The physical damage and emotional toll.

     Where was the National Guard? The Capitol police? The law and order the U.S. says it maintains?

     Then, later in the day I stumbled across an international story from CBS News: 

The Congo.


 

"...six rangers working at Virunga National Park in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo were ambushed (and killed) by a local militia group."
      My immediate reaction was to shake my head at the violence, at a country that can't keep safe the rangers, who's job it is to protect
some of the world's last mountain gorillas.

     Hmmm. Both sides of my brain collided. I had been following the failure of the U.S. Government to protect it's own legislative headquarters, despite having the most well funded military in the world ($934-Billion Dollars). Who was I to criticize The Congo, with a highest budget of $456-Million? If you're not impressed, remember the U.S. budget is in the Billions, the Congo's is in the Millions.

No comments:

Post a Comment