Apr 10, 2021

Yes (er, no thanks?) Sir!


      My military experience is limited.

     I joined the U.S. Army for a three- year term in the late 60's, rather than take a chance with the draft's two-year term. I reported for duty on my 19th birthday.

     There are certain parts of handing one's life over to the military that spans all of the armed services: wearing the designated uniform, doing the assigned work, and following regulations. Obedience, in other words.


     One memorable aspect of following orders had me rolling up my sleeves for a series of inoculations to protect me (and the military's investment in me). 

     I remember the assembly-line process involving  a kind of vaccine gun being used on recruit after recruit. (apparently called a "Automatic Jet Hypodermic Injection Apparatus)

     No one ever asked me if I wanted or did not want any particular shot (the current roster includes about a dozen, varying somewhat from one service to the other).

     Now CNN reports about one-third of the U.S. Marines are refusing the Covid19 vaccine shots.

As of Thursday, approximately 75,500 Marines have received vaccines, including fully vaccinated and partially vaccinated service men and women. About 48,000 Marines have chosen not to receive vaccines, for a declination rate of 38.9ps %.

     Why are the vaccines not mandatory?

     Since when does the military, especially the Marines, allow recruits to decide stuff? 

     Here's the kicker from another CNN report:

"A group of Democratic lawmakers sent a letter to President Joe Biden requesting that he issue a "waiver of informed consent" to make getting vaccinated against Covid-19 mandatory for all US military service members."

     Why are Republican lawmakers not pushing for the same, especially with no draft...all people in the military are there because they volunteered. Do they get to decide how many pushups they want to do as well?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment