May 13, 2009

Obituary

Our sympathy to former Alabama Treasurer and PSC Commissioner George Wallace Jr. His son, the grandson of former Governor Wallace, has died in his Pensacola, Florida home of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. George Corley “Corey” Wallace IV was 25. [UPDATE: The obituary, which includes information about the funeral: WALLACE, George Corley, IV, affectionately known as Corey Wallace passed away on May 12, 2009. Corey, the son of Kelly Wnuk and George C. Wallace, Jr., was born in Montgomery on January 10, 1984. Corey is survived by his parents, his brother Robert Kelly Wallace, and his grandparents Col. and Mrs. Donald Cagle. He was preceded in death by his paternal grandparents, Governors Lurleen and George C. Wallace. Corey had a warm and caring spirit and was loved by all who knew him. He had a strong faith that guided him to help construct churches in North Carolina and South America. Corey was employed in Pensacola, Florida, where he was also completing his college degree in business administration. He found his church home in Pensacola. Corey had many friends whom he cherished. He was devoted to his family and friends and was a blessing to each of them. Our lives are richer for having loved him, and having been loved by him. Visitation will be 10:00 am, followed by funeral services at 11:00 am, on Friday, May 15, 2009, at Leak Memory Chapel, 945 Lincoln Road, Montgomery, Alabama 36109. Burial will be at Greenwood Cemetery. Leak-Memory Chapel Directing

2 comments:

  1. Suicide has touched my family.

    My maternal grandfather committed suicide when mom was early in her pregnancy with me.

    She and Daddy decided to delay telling family about her pregnancy until later. Why, I'll never understand, though I've asked numerous times.

    My brother and I were never told the truth about what happened until we were in our mid-to-late teens. Shame only has the power over us that we give to it. So I've determined to give it none, and I tell others the truth.

    Her brother, my uncle John, drank himself to an early grave. He was the one whom first saw Grandfather. It was my understanding that Grandmother asked John to call his daddy for breakfast. He found him in the garage/shed, dead from a self-inflicted shotgun blast.

    I've also had at least four friends whom committed suicide, and know others whose family have suffered similarly.

    I am convinced that hopelessness arises in part from lack of communication, and genuine closeness - intimacy, if you will - about the person's greatest fears, fondest ambitions and honesty in dealing with their own feelings, and sharing them with others whom love and care for that person.

    My heart and prayers go to the Wallace family in this, their time of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Corey personally, and I just found out about his passing. He was an amazing person, who never knew how amazing he truly was. I never forgot him when he left, and I will never forget him. It breaks my heart that he felt like he had no other choice. Ever since I learned what happened, I think about what I could've said. I tried telling him over and over again that he was worth living a fantastic life, even though he made it seem otherwise. I haven't talked to him in a little over a year, and I just wished I had. I can only hope that he knew that I wasn't mad at him, because he usually thought I was, and that I cared so much for him. To this day, I think about him everyday, hoping wherever he was, that he was okay and happy. I searched for his name today and that's when I found out. I'll miss him always.

    ReplyDelete