Jan 10, 2009

"For The Record" ending...

As you may be aware, APT has decided to end "For The Record" and eliminate four staff positions, mine included, citing recent budget cuts by the state. I was called away last weekend to attend the New Jersey funeral of my last living Aunt. There was no way for APT's managers to inform me of the bad news other than by phone, and they were very apologetic about that. The last regular Week-in-Review FTR I'll host will be on Friday, January 30th, which will be an hour-long legislative preview program. Then, a special "Economy" FTR the following Tuesday, February 3rd at 8:00pm. And then? At this point, I don't know. During the past year I've been working on a documentary about the CSS Alabama and Capt. Raphael Semmes [there's a blog about the program], and I know enough about the subject at this point that I could go on a lecture tour, though that's not likely to be very profitable. The fate of the CSS Alabama project is uncertain. We were in the process of trying to raise funds for the travel to the D.C. area and England/France [she was built in England and sunk off the coast of France] when both my position and that of co-producer Bob Corley were eliminated on Thursday. I certainly would like to remain in Alabama, my adopted home these past 33 years. I have no interest in retiring...that's at least a decade off. So on Monday I'll start talking with potential employers. Even with the economy in rough shape, unless all of the TV stations go dark, there will be a need for personnel. There's also radio and a dozen or more affiliated positions like PR. I'll be OK. It is a shame that FTR will be no more. When I started as host in 1998, the half-hour program started with a day's newscast and then focused for 20 minutes on a single issue Monday-Thursday. You can watch many of those old shows online, like the 11/16/05 one in which we talked with New York Times chief art critic Michael Kimmelman, or the 4/11/06 FTR with an immigration debate. The Friday show was, as now, a week-in-review journalist panel. A couple of years ago the news segment was eliminated, along with the people who gathered that news. Then the show was reduced to Fridays only, though lengthened to an hour. FTR's airtime was changed several times. From 6:30 to 7:00 to 8:00 to 9:00. The number of panelists was cut from three to two. During the years in which we focused on topics, FTR provided a platform, sometimes the only platform, for hundreds of individuals and organizations. We never had a huge audience, nor was that a concern. The purpose of public broadcasting is to free its employees of the shackles imposed by advertising dollars. Publicasters can produce programs about anything, without fear of a sales department trying to block topics or guests. We strove to be fair in our presentations...all sides presented whenever possible. As my siblings and cousins went through my late Aunt's possessions this past week, we found hundreds of framed photos and documents throughout the place, including the first APT program guide when I started hosting FTR, a guide with my picture on the cover. She was proud of my work at APT. So am I. Stay tuned.

10 comments:

  1. You benefited Alabama. I'm hoping to see more of your work. Best wishes. A. Fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can too ! (-:
    Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have watched you diligently for 10 years. You were certainly my husband's #1 show. FTR was the only show he recorded on the DVR. We wish you much luck and hope you land close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be sorely missed. Glad to hear you plan to stay around these parts if possible. It would be interesting to see you in a 'regular' newscaster position on one of the networks. I know you used to be on a network news cast in BHAM but that was before my time watching the news. Talk radio would also be good. Just as long as you are out there somewhere bringing a little levity, sanity and thoughtful commentary to the great state of Alabama. I'll tune in and watch/listen to you wherever you wind up.

    I first started watching FTR in early 2005. A friend of mine turned me on to it. The very first show I saw was Rep. Gerald Allen and Rep. Alvin Holmes slugging it out over the issue of gay marriage. Alvin won that one. It was one of the most hysterical things I have ever seen on TV. Every since then I was hooked.

    APT has made a very bad decision in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad, to me, that when times are tight that APT would jettison its core functions and keep the filler instead of keeping its focus on locally-produced public service broadcasting.

    Add mine to the pile of hopes that your voice will return stronger than ever to our state's public affairs mediascape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sincere thanks to each of your who have commented...Dystopos, Gina, Logan Loretta. I do hope to stay in state! Please check back here for updates.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. >It's sad, to me, that when times are tight that APT would jettison its core functions and keep the filler<

    Ditto. There were lots of things that I personally don't find enlightening or enjoyable that APT could have cut. I'm sure there are things I don't know about why this decision was made but I think it will come back to haunt APT. I know that I won't be watching any more. There's nothing left to watch.

    Tim I hope you will at least consider starting your own show focused on Alabama politics and state news. Maybe it would just be internet based at first but you could charge a small fee to watch in order to generate cash. I'd pay for the quality that you are known to produce. I plan to start my own internet based show in Feb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always enjoyed FOR THE RECORD. You have done a great service to our state, in an action-packed 10 year period with jailed governors, grandstanding legislators, prorated budgets, and the addition of steel mills and automotive plants to the Alabama economic profile.

    Needless to say, it's been exciting, and your voice will be missed. I certainly hope you will send your resume to some local talk radio stations and offer your services; we need more of this type of programming, not less.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you quickly find a somehow equally satisfying position in Alabama. It won't be satisfying for now for your faithful and long-time FTR viewers to be without your, and your guests, uniquely informal yet in-depth coverage of current events and issues.

    So, may a road that does not lead you away from Alabama rise to meet you, and . . . be well yourself.

    ReplyDelete