Jun 13, 2015

West Alabama Earthquakes

     There have been an increased number of them since late last year...ranging in strength from 1.8 to 3.2, according to an earthquake center at The University of Memphis.


     The Associated Press reports this morning that the experts say there is no connection between the quakes and fracking, a controversial method of drilling for deep natural gas...even though the quakes have been close to the area where that has been happening. according to an interactive map online.


     None of the quakes have been strong enough to cause significant damage, but they have shaken people up.
     I remember waking up in Birmingham in the late 1990's to shaking. The door of a secretary in my bedroom was moving noisily. I sat up, thinking to myself "If I didn't know better I would swear that was an earthquake." 
    The next morning I discovered it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment