Feb 20, 2010

Pythonssssssss

     Readers of this blog may already know I am something of an alarmist (or, to use some positive spin, a canary in the coal-mine) about the growing population of huge pythons in Florida. Remember, one killed a little child near Tampa last Summer! And anything that can take on a gator and win...well, time for concern!

     Being a resident of Alabama, I have more than just a passing interest. I can be in Florida, albeit the Panhandle, after a relatively short drive. So snakes in Florida = soon-to-be snakes in Alabama. This USGS map shows how large a potion of Alabama there is in which the pythons would find the weather hospitable. Oh Joy!

 
    Anyway, Sunday night on "Nature", a story about the advancing hoard, the writhing army, the slithering mass. Check your local listing.
    Unlike most residents of the Sunshine State, the snakes are not moving to the South toward Miami. They're headed toward me.
    Don't say you weren't warned.

8 comments:

  1. Love your map Tim. That's hilarious! Are you one of those people who, when you see a snake in the road, you go out of your way to kill it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And don't forget Hulk Hogan's 20 inch "pythons."

    http://www.collegian.psu.edu/blogs/snapcracklepop/hulkhogan.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we're not allowed to post pictures or links.

    Rank has its privileges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jay...I think if you use an html tag you can post a link in comments here. Don't think it is possible to post pics in a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do I use an "HTML tag?"

    I'm still struggling with quill pens, let alone computers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Tim sees a snake in the road, he calls Gov. Riley on his cell phone. The guv sends out a hundred troopers in full SWAT gear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok so that didn't work out as I had planned. Jay I can show you and html tag...but you might need to email me

    lorettanall@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete