Mar 8, 2010

Choo Choo Phooey

     I like the idea of rail Mass Transit, and generally understand the people who watch trains to the point of keeping detailed logbook records of the ones they've seen (though there is zero chance of me going that far!).
     I also remember visiting my Grandmother in the Bronx and counting the freght trains moving on tracks across Tremont Avenue from her high-rise apartment. I once got to a hundred!
     But I also understand that railroads are a business, so a new effort grandly called "The Future Needs Us" by the Norfolk Southern folks to get the masses to endorse their mode of carrying stuff vs trucks (Trains are good for you! Good for your State! Good for America!)...well let's just say it's a well designed effort to increase their own business at the expense of other methods of transportation. I look for the Trucking Association to come out with their own site to counter the pro-train lobby any day now.

4 comments:

  1. Better to have trains running on their own tracks than trucks clogging up the highways.

    Actually, we need both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ9U4Cbb4wg&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ9U4Cbb4wg&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur with Jay, and will go one step further.

    We need elevated high-speed magnetic monorail trains for passenger and cargo transport.

    ReplyDelete