Jan 4, 2012

Gene Bartow

     I'm not a sports reporter (there's an understatement!) but over the years I've covered a variety of sports stories, mostly because I was the last person left in the newsroom. (Remind me to tell you about the time I filled in for Eli Gold on the old WERC "Calling All Sports" show.)
     The death of Gene Bartow reminded me that I had covered the announcement that the was leaving UCLA after just two seasons and coming to UAB to launch a basketball program. It was 1977, and I had been in Birmingham for about a year when the news conference was called. The details are fuzzy, but it was such a big announcement that even sports neophyte me could sense the impact it would have. The room was packed with reporters from everywhere.
     I hadn't thought about that event probably at all since it happened, but today's story of his passing brought it flashing back. If there were negative stories or controversies about him (other than leaving LA for Birmingham, of all places!) I don't remember them. He brought a ton of class to sports in Birmingham, and helped put UAB on the sports map. Rest in Peace, Coach.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment