Apr 15, 2012

Horses

     Two horses were "put down"...killed....at The Grand National Steeplechase today, when they were injured in a jump.
     It follow by weeks the abrupt cancellation of the cable TV series Luck after three horses died during production.
     I don't really know a lot about horses. I fell off one as a child with no serious injury or resulting fear that I am aware of. We had horses at my High School, but I wasn't involved. Yet somehow I am in awe of them. 
     The Great Recession has been especially hard on the horse. They are expensive animals to keep, and there are horror stories in some countries about abandonment. There are groups that specialize in rescuing them...like this one in Alabama.
     We kill injured horses so frequently that it's easy to say that's just the way it is. But is it? Think of the extent people go to keep dogs and cats alive. Why are horses so, well,  expendable following an injury? 

No comments:

Post a Comment