Jul 16, 2012

Go Away!

     I can't remember a single stranger knocking on my door and me being pleased about it.
Can you? (Let's exclude Halloween, a night when those social rules are suspended.)
     It comes to mind because the City Council in the suburban Birmingham town of Alabaster is being sued for interfering with a religious group's soliciting funds door to door.
     I say if they want to solicit, use the mail, so I have the option throw it out with the junk mail if I do desire, without having to convince someone to leave my property.
     I don't want to buy your candy, magazines, vinyl siding or step-by-step soul-saving scheme. I disconnected my landline years ago, so I get no solicitations on the phone anymore. Do I have to remove my front door too?
     Or I could just move to Alabaster.

2 comments:

  1. The Shelby Reporter story says that the young man was selling books, while the website says that this organization distributes free literature.

    My guess is that the city of Alabaster is over-reaching. I too am annoyed by religious zealots but there is such a thing as freedom of speech.

    Anecdote--when we lived in Maryland we were often hounded by door-to-door evangelists. Finally I developed a plan.

    The next time a trio came to the door of my house, I was ready. I immediately asked, "You're Jehovah's Witnesses, right?"

    Surprised look on their faces. "Right."

    "You came to my house to learn about the Episcopal Church, right? Here's a pamphlet explaining the Church's beliefs!"

    They looked at it like it was dog poop and wouldn't touch it. They were gone in an instant and I never saw them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine Lee Bates is rotating in her grave.


    O beautiful for patriot dream
    That sees beyond the years
    Thine alabaster cities gleam
    Undimmed by human tears!

    ReplyDelete