The most Popular Posts of the past seven days.

Aug 25, 2012

Obit: Neil Armstrong

     The first man to walk on a body other than earth has died.
Neil Armstrong was 82 when he passed today following complications from cardiovascular proceedings.


 "In my own view, the important achievement of Apollo was a demonstration that humanity is not forever chained to this planet, and our visions go rather further than that, and our opportunities are unlimited," Armstrong said.



Where were you when he took that first step on the Moon?
I was in Basic Training at Ft. Jackson, SC. I paid another trainee $5 or so to take my guard duty so I could watch it on TV...black and white set, of course, outdoors, in the hot southern summer night. Amazing.
So where were you?


2 comments:

  1. On July 20, 1969 I was most likely in Prattville. Being a young boy aged 7, there's no telling what I was doing - probably playing in the yard, riding my bicycle, or perhaps playing with my three-years-younger brother under our mother's watchful eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How well I remember that night! The whole family gathered around the TV set on that Sunday night to watch that first step on the moon. We were amazed. "To think, they are actually up there walking on the moon!" my mother said. I followed the Apollo missions closely as Walter Cronkite anchored the newscasts. I even became saddened when the last Apollo Missions became so routine that TV broadcasts paid little attention. I wanted the coverage and excitement to continue with each launch.

    ReplyDelete