Sep 18, 2017

Old Time 5 Points South

  
Before my time, but note the curved building on the left.
   I moved to the Five Points South area of Birmingham in 1977, one year after I took a job with WERC Radio. It was a neighborhood with some fringe elements, and none of the popular restaurants and shop that are there now.

     Any interest I had in photography was dimmed back then, so I have few photos of 5 points, but lots of memories.
     The curved building on the North-West corner of the intersection of 20th Street and 11th Avenue South was home to a motorcycle bar called The Little Bomber, a somewhat reckless name considering the city's reputation from just a few years earlier as "Bombingham", home to numerous KKK civil rights bombings.
     I got remembering that bar because a new place with a much less dangerous name---Sky Bar---operates in the new building (the original one burned one Christmas morning, a story I stumbled across on my way to do the morning news at ERC). 
     Now AL.COM reports the city council will consider revoking the business license because of shootings and fights in and out of the place.



No comments:

Post a Comment