May 14, 2019

Media: Back in the day racist reporters and editors





     I've often wondered if I would have had the clear-headiness to see the Civil Rights upheaval in Alabama as the good and necessary thing it was if  had I been born in Montgomery instead of New York,
     And if I did, would I have had the courage to take a stand as a reporter or editor?

     Poynter has posted a multi-part report about newspapers that are apologizing for their decidedly anti-civil rights reporting at the time, and about those that did take a stand. 

“How these white newspapers reported on race, and how they signaled blackness as threatening, contributed to not just perceptions about black people, but stirred responses … that imperiled the lives of African Americans,” said Phillip Luke Sinitiere, W. E. B. Du Bois Visiting Scholar at the University of Massachusetts Amherst."

HERE's the full report.

No comments:

Post a Comment