Oct 24, 2020

Going To The Movies (NOT)!


 

 Martin McCaffery at The Capri says the last operating movie theatre in Troy has closed:

 

 

"On a sadder note, the Troy-based Continental Cinemas has closed and filed for bankruptcy because of the pandemic. I'm pretty sure that leaves Troy without movies, once again. Another ecosystem in distress.

Troy has had movie theatres going back to at least 1910 (earlier if you count the Folmar Opera House – and yes, the Folmar in Opera House is a direct relative of our former mayor). I have listings of thirteen theatres prior to 1970. I remember visiting Troy many years ago and seeing a closed up theatre (probably the Pike). I was without a camera in those pre-smartphone days, so didn't get a picture. A few weeks later I was back and ready to click, and the building was gone.

I'm not too familiar with Continental Cinemas, but they were locally based and, I believe, a family operation. If they are truly going out of business, I find it unlikely anyone will be reopening a theatre in Troy. As always, I hope I am wrong.

And though I am totally uncharmed by most theatres built after 1970, that was FIFTY YEARS AGO, somebody must have some feeling for the theatres they grew up in. Continental Cinemas was built in 1998. Twenty-two years makes it old enough to be a nostalgic memory for a good number of people."

 And on the Continental Cinemas webpage:

No comments:

Post a Comment