Aug 22, 2021

Recommended Reading: I Am.

     I've been thinking about thinking recently, perhaps related to a brain MRI, a CT-scan, and an Angiogram I underwent in August.

 From an interview with neuroscientist Anil Seth at The Guardian about the "central mystery of life"---"the relationship between the physical matter of the brain and the conscious mental activity it somehow creates."

"...you describe how you only came to look at a living human brain relatively recently, having been invited to sit in during an operation. Was that a suitably surreal experience for you?
Yes. That is where awe comes in. This material object, which I’ve written about and described and studied data from for over 20 years: that’s it, right there. At one point, as the surgeon was doing the operation, which involved excising parts of the brain that were damaged, he sliced off one bit and gave it to me to hold. It was a very affecting experience, a reminder that whatever is happening is somehow happening right there, right now."
The Full article is HERE.

(I'm happy to report my procedures did not include any slicing of my brain, and were completed without any misadventure at Baptist South here in Montgomery. Good people! 😊) 

No comments:

Post a Comment