Sep 3, 2021

How Antique AM I?

 One of my favorite pieces of furniture is the desk my computer sits on...I am sitting at it right now as I write this.

Is it an "antique"?





 

 

 

There are crosses carved into the sides of the desk.

I bought it in the late 1970's, not long after I moved to Birmingham from Manhattan.

It was in an antique store/mall north of Birmingham somewhere. I don't remember how much I paid for it, nor how I got it home from the store...perhaps I knew someone with a pickup?

But it was certainly old then, and now it is double old, since I  have owned it almost 50 years myself! 

"The United States Customs Service says an antique is an item that is “100 years of age or older.” In conformance with U.S. Customs laws, Merriam Webster Dictionary states that the item must have been made at least 100 years ago in order to be considered an antique. Merriam Webster includes furniture, works of art, and decorative objects as potential examples of antique items. (Source: https://www.truelegacyhomes.com/vintage-vs-antique/)

 

I've refinished it once...and it's about due for  some more work...

No comments:

Post a Comment