Alabama residents have among the slowest speech in America. We rank 4th slowest!
- The average rate of speech among U.S. states is 5.09 syllables per second
- The U.S. state with the fastest average speech rate is Minnesota at 5.34 syllables per second
- The U.S. state with the slowest average rate of speech is Louisiana at 4.78 syllables per second
- The U.S. city with the fastest average rate of speech is Portland, Oregon, at 5.38 syllables per second
- The U.S. city with the slowest average speech rate is Peoria, Illinois, at 4.71 syllables per second
Slowest Talking States
1 Louisiana 4.78 2 South Carolina 4.80 3 Mississippi 4.82 4 Alabama 4.87 5 Georgia 4.89 6 New Mexico 4.90 7 Arkansas 4.93 8 North Carolina 4.93 9 Texas 4.95 10 Illinois 4.96
- See the entire study HERE.