Apr 19, 2013

The Demo Chair Steps Down

H. Mark Kennedy
Dear Members of the State Democratic Executive Committee,
Serving as your Party Chairman has been both a challenge and a wonderful experience. As I have traveled throughout the State for the past two years, I have been inspired and encouraged by the thousands of Alabama citizens who rise each day to fight for the principles of justice and fair play upon which our Party stands. 
I can think of no other time when being an informed citizen and an active agent for change has been more important.  The people of Alabama, whether they be Democrats, Republicans or Independents deserve a better government, not a bitter government.  As Democrats, we must hold true to the notion that the Alabama Democratic Party offers opportunities for change and good government.
Peggy and I have been fortunate in our lives of public service to see the best of Alabama and to weather the storms of discontent.  We remain dedicated to fighting for a renewed and reinvigorated sense of opportunity and hope for the people of our State. 
I want to thank the many of you who have demonstrated your confidence in me and your support for my leadership. 
But now, after much consideration, my family and I have determined that it is time to move on.  We will always stand shoulder to shoulder with people of goodwill who choose to fight for progress.  The Alabama Democratic Party has a long and storied history, and now, we must face the reality of changing times as we strive for more inclusiveness and relevance.
Please accept this letter as notice of my intent to resign as Chairman of the State Democratic Executive Committee effective at noon on Monday, April 22, 2013.  Pursuant to our bylaws, the First Vice Chair of the Party, Nancy Worley, will become Chairman.  I want to wish her Godspeed.
With heartfelt appreciation, I remain
Sincerely yours,



H. Mark Kennedy
==============================================================================
Comment:
Because this was prompted by a pitched battle between Joe Reed and Kennedy, watch for this to be framed as a racial fight. Where does the Democratic Party in the Republican State of Alabama go now?
Even on some issues of GOP Division, Alabama leans right. Common Core revocation? Most Alabama educators are apparently against the repeal, but the GOP dominated legislature will likely approve it. And on gun buying background checks at gun shows and elsewhere, the public (in Alabama too!) is for it, but state party and its elected officials, squarely against it. Talabana.

3 comments:

  1. What's with printing this in gray type on a grayer background? You've never done this before, Tim.

    Yes, it's a sad day, Mr. Kennedy faced an almost impossible job. It will be interesting to see what happens.

    For now, I am suspending my monthly contribution to the ADP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jay...some people insist on including a background color in letters and I can't seem to get rid of it. I should just delete the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You included some commentary which, I'm sure, wasn't in Mr. Kennedy's letter.

    I'm glad I bought a magnifying glass at Office Depot last week!

    ReplyDelete