Aug 18, 2013

Sunday Focus: 4 to 6 Weeks

     There was a coupon offer included in an electric toothbrush I purchased this weekend, and after I filled in the online form, the program informed me:
Your request has been processed, and your coupon will be mailed to you in 4–6 weeks.
     When did we get stuck in the 1950's, when it might have taken 4 to 6 weeks to process a coupon application?
     Does anything really take 4 to 6 weeks in 2013?

 


  •    When I use my debit card at the grocery store, the money is out of my account before I get into my car with my bags. 
  •      When I apply for a credit card online, the approval comes before I can finish filling out the application.
  •      If I go onto a car lot, the dealership knows within seconds if my credit score if high enough for them to bother pay attention to me.
     Nothing really takes 4 to 6 weeks, yet you hear the phrase over and over again in sales pitches. "Allow four to six weeks" for delivery". Your rebate check will arrive in "four to six weeks".
     And not only that, the exorbitant price of the replacement brush heads on the toothbrush means the company could give twice that rebate and still make a profit.
     And while the toothbrush packaging suggests I change my brush head every three months, we all know they really last..oh, about four to six weeks.
    
    
 

1 comment:

  1. Ever had an appliance repaired, Tim?

    Refrigerator woes. A few years ago the device that delivers ice, crushed or whole as you desire, through the door, would freeze up.

    The repair guy came, did his best and said that it required a new part. The part arrived and didn't fit. Found that the same model number was used for two different parts, by the manufacturer.

    Fast forward to today. Basically the same problem. The new part was ordered, but it was wrong. I was just informed yesterday afternoon that the part is in the shop but it will be Friday until they can come to install it.

    Meanwhile we're schlepping ice cubes out of the freezer by hand.

    Four to six weeks in each case.

    ReplyDelete