The most Popular Posts of the past seven days.

Dec 2, 2013

Obit -- Karanel Ezpeleta


Karanel with Saki, her gift to me.
   Birmingham Radio listeners may remember my friend and co-worker Karanel Ezpeleta from NewsTalkWERC and KICKS-106, or later at WAPI and I-95, from the early 1980's through not so many years ago.
     Karanel passed away Saturday night after an illness that kept her hospitalized in Birmingham for several weeks. She was surrounded by family,  including Torencie, her Mom.
     Karanel always jokingly "blamed" me for getting her into radio. She was a student in a class I taught at Jefferson State College in the late 70's, became an intern at WERC, a part-time employee, then a career radio newswoman, and always a friend. 
   Karanel was never afraid to express her opinions, and was never short of those. We joked that she was like a gumball machine, you put in your coin and out came her comment, with no filtering required or offered. Karanel was an original. 
   Birmingham News obituary

[UPDATE: I'm just back from Karanel's memorial service, which was crowded, and full of heartfelt comments and love for her. It was pointed out to me that the Birmingham news obit which is linked above had one error. They spelled Karanel as Karenal.  We agreed she would have howled with laughter. Rest in Peace, friend.]
Karenal

6 comments:

  1. Greg and I were pretty much gobsmacked to learn of this, but thanks for making the sad news known. Karanel was inimitable, indefatigible, indomitable, and, as Bill Graham used to characterize Janis, "one great, great broad."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg..yes she was! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was as much a part of the Mark and Brian show as they were. So very sad to learn of this. R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Karanel over 30 years ago before I moved out of state(Huntsville) but went with Tim to Birmingham to visit her at the hospital about a month ago. She couldn't communicate but I held her hand & talked to her. She was always so vibrant & bouncy & energetic. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was always so "on it" with her smarts and her determination. To think that same girl met with an early demise was sad to hear, and hard to fathom. Thanks for your comments, Tim. (Smokey Rivers)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you who commented. Kim told me she visited the site and read the posts.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete