Mar 29, 2020

Vietnam: No, Really, Thank YOU.

    Today is a day designated as a day to say thanks to Veterans of the Vietnam War.
     "The Vietnam Veterans Recognition Act of 2017 established March 29 as the date for annual recognition of the nine million Americans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces from Nov. 1, 1955 to May 15, 1975."


     Ironically, a friend from my high school days emailed me last week saying she came across a letter I wrote to her from Vietnam in 1969. 

 At my request, Lucette sent it to me (Thank you!) and I have now read what I wrote.
     The letter is undated, and there is no postal stamp because we were able to send mail home free. But it was written in the second half of 1970, since the letter refers to my work anchoring a nightly 10:00 pm TV newscast on Armed Forces Vietnam Network. I wrote about having 101 days left in my Vietnam tour.

    I also wrote about anchoring a 15 minute sportscast at 7:00pm each evening!
    If you know me, you know sports is not exactly my strong point (if I have one), and I have no memory of it whatsoever. Of all things, perhaps I have intentionally blocked that part of 'Nam out. 





Not sure if today's date was selected for this purpose, but one month from today was the beginning of the end of the war. More on that coming up on this website on that on April 29th.


UPDATE: March 29th was chosen because on this date in 1973 MACV was disbanded and the last U.S. combat troops left.


No comments:

Post a Comment